Tuesday, January 18, 2011

French Bread Pizza

Guess what!  My brain is suffering from 'writer's block,' and I need someone to crack me over the head to jar some ideas loose.  D (my hubby) keeps telling me I should carry a notebook with me, or otherwise I forget the things that pique my interest when we're out and about.  When am I ever going to listen to him!

I've been sitting here flipping through the pages of the cook book I received for Christmas.  I came across a recipe for French Bread Pizza.  It's really simple and doesn't require making a crust.  Fry the hamburger/sausage, onions, add favorite pizza sauce, warm thoroughly.  Split the French Bread in half length-wise, put the meat and sauce on the bread, and then top with personal choice of veggies, and top with mozzarella cheese.  Bake at 350 until cheese is golden brown.

Around the holidays, our small town suffered a real loss.  The only convenience store/gas station in town closed its doors and left its 400+ residents without those services.  The one thing we really miss is their homemade pizzas.  Whenever we'd get unexpected company, we'd call over for their large supreme.  Within a half hour, we would bring home the best pizza, and our guests would rave about how good it was.  Guess maybe now I'll have to keep a loaf of French Bread in the freezer to whip up this super easy pizza for those times when the door bell rings and we're not prepared.