Saturday, December 04, 2010

A Day of Winter White

An enchanted fairyland of white greeted me this morning when I took that first peek out the bedroom window.  And, the fluffy stuff is still coming down.  I get the goose bumps when I look out and see our red-white-and blue waving in the light wind on this peaceful Saturday morn.  All I can say is, God bless those who are in distant lands fighting so we can sit back on days like this and cozy in without imminent fears.

I took a picture of our bird feeder this morning, to show the difference between yesterday's picture and today's. 

Somehow I've managed to come down with a darned cold.  Heaven only knows where I'd have picked up a nasty germ like this, but it's been a long time since I've had one.  Maybe a person has to get colds once in awhile to sweep out our systems.  Don't know.  So long as I have my trusty over-the-counter-meds, good old Hall's cough drops and Advil, I shall tolerate the unpleasant sneezes and sniffs and be about my day.

We recently bought a smoothie maker, and now that I'll be needing more Vitamin C, this will be a perfect time for me to whip up a banana-o.j.   Maybe I'll make some oatmeal muffins, too. The recipe is very basic, with room to add one's own preferences, like raisins, bananas, or nuts.  Oatmeal is touted as a highly nutritional food, plus it keeps our cholesterol numbers down.  www.allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Oatmeal-Muffins/Detail.aspx.

Already the snow-removal trucks are emerging to clear the snow off our streets.  Some guys put blades on their pickups, and they can push a lot of snow and open lots of driveways in no time flat.

Before I refill my coffee cup, I'd like to share this Winter Morning Poem, written by Ogden Nash.....

"Winter is the king of showmen
Turning tree stumps into snow men
And houses into birthday cakes
And spreading sugar over lakes.
Smooth and clean and frosty white
The world looks good enough to bite.
That's the season to be young
Catching snowflakes on your tongue.
Snow is snowy when it's snowing
I'm sorry it's slushy when it's going."

Where the winter fairies live!