Wednesday, September 15, 2010

One September Morn


Blue Sapphire
 We're up early this morning.....reminiscent of our working years when 5 a.m. was the everyday norm.  Am here to say, that now it about kills me to get up early.

When I was a little girl, my Mom would wake me every morning by singing out to me, "It's time to rise and shine, honey."  Getting woke up in a happy way makes a big difference, and I make a point to wake my little fuzzy one in the same upbeat way.  With her, I have tickle time and morning massage time.  Oh, does she love that!  She rolls over on her back and savors the few minutes devoted just to her.

Yesterday the hubby went fishing for awhile, and we girls stayed in the car.  Am reading a book that's about a couple who gave their baby away and years later found him in Ireland.  The mother became a nun after she gave her baby away to a Catholic institution run by the nuns.  As the story unfolds, the parents learn how the nuns underhandedly prevented the little boy from being adopted by loving parents and kept him institutionalized with them his entire childhood.  It's a real page-turner.

The evening and nighttime temperatures have cooled down, and it feels marvelous to snuggle in the bedsheets and cozy in for a good night's rest.  We keep the windows open so we can breathe in the fresh air that descends during the dark hours.  Cool, clean, and crisp air is invigorating.

I see pumpkins appearing on front porches and people putting up orange Halloween lights.  Decorating porches and  houses is such a fun way to add color and sparkle to our world.  I always think that when people decorate they're doing it as a gesture of goodness, because it gives everyone something to look at and enjoy.  Little kids especially like seeing bright lights any time of year.  It used to be that Christmas was the only time for stringing up lights, but thank heavens we've expanded our thoughts on that. 

Maybe our years pass quickly because of all our special events.  First, in January we celebrate New Year's Day, in February we show our love on Valentine's Day, March is St. Patrick's Day and the wearin' of the green, April brings a day to fool others and the Easter Bunny brings us Peeps and Cadbury Eggs, May brings May Day and Mother's Day, June honors our Dads, July we celebrate our freedoms, August takes the kids back to school, Labor Day in September, Halloween in October, Thanksgiving in November, and then it's Christmastime and back to New Year's Eve!  In between, of course, we have family birthday and anniversary parties, bridal showers, weddings, babies being born, and loved ones and friends departing.  In one year's time, we have a constant stream of days to honor and days to remember.

Traditions are nice, but I love impromptu get-togethers more. Some people don't like traditional change, and that's fine, too.  The one thing I insist on, at this stage of the game, is humor and a bit of fun that kicks the event up a notch or two.  I've found that the holidays give me a chance to stretch my creativity, and I absolutely love coming up with and making holiday treats for our friends and neighbors.  That probably is my #1 favorite thing in the whole world to do.  Usually my treats are made out of candy, or I decorate cookies or cupcakes.  When my hubby's mother passed away, we found that she had saved many of my little creations in her china closet.  She didn't eat them, but saved them among her fancy dishes.

It's still dark outside, but I can hear cars driving around town already.  Workers heading out for the early shifts that give a jump start to our world.  Oh, in case you want to spiff up a bit, today is National Felt Hat Day!  Go figure......

Today's Trivia:  September's birthstone is the sapphire.