Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Do I Really Care?

One of my treasured collections is meaningful quotations.....words spoken by others that nail a truism right on the head.....words of wisdom, that's what they are.  Quotations, or proverbs, can help us think, they can give us a kick in the pants when we need that kick, and they're quite enlightening and sometimes hilarious.  Plain and simple.....they make darned good sense.  Here is one of my favorites.....

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.  Attitude, to me, is more important than facts.  It is more important than past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do.  It is more important than appearance, gifted ability, or skill.  It will make or break a company, a church, a home.

"The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace from that day.  We cannot change our past, we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way.  We cannot change the inevitable.  The only thing that we can do is play on the one string that we have, and this string is Attitude.  I am convinced that life is ten percent what happens to me and ninety percent how I react to it.  And so it is with you.....We are in charge of our Attitudes."     --Charles Swindoll

Isn't that cool?  Oh, I know, it's not as easy as snapping one's fingers and being in a jolly mood.  It's a whole lot deeper than that.  I've come to deal with my attitude in a "who really cares" manner.  If something or someone ticks me off, I ask myself first, "do I really care" and then I tell myself to "let it go."  I'm not able to control the universe, nor should I try.  The only thing I'm in charge of is little old me, and let me add that's a great plenty to be in charge of. 

This morning we're sharing a sweet roll for breakfast with our coffee.  The roll is a couple of days old, but when it's put in the microwave for a few seconds, it regains its freshness just like it came out of the oven.  After all the years of having and using the microwave, the invention still baffles me.  Can't help but wonder what my Gramma would think about the small appliance that heats and cooks in minutes.  Poor dear, how she slaved over her old wood stove and an oven where the heat couldn't be controlled by a dial.  Yet, the pans of pastries she produced were golden brown and as soft as her heart. 

We're having another gorgeous fall day, and we're contemplating the day's activities.  I detect a bit of antsy in my guy's veins, so wouldn't doubt we'll soon be on the road on a new adventure.  Lots of white poofy clouds in front of the blue sky.  Dried leaves are floating to the ground, having completed their season's task of providing shade and cool breezes.  They let go, in their own time, having endured the elements best they could.

Today's Trivia:

In 1945, a computer at Harvard malfunctioned and Grace Hopper, who was working on the computer, investigated, found a moth in one of the circuits and removed it.  Ever since, when something goes wrong with a computer, it is said to have a bug in it.