Monday, September 06, 2010

The celebration in our town is over, truckloads of picnic tables being hauled out of town.  The steady stream of people walking and driving up and down our streets is gone.  Squished tootsie rolls that weren't picked up by the kids during the parade are laying on the boulevard.  Left also are memories of meeting friends we hadn't seen in many, many years.  All of us growing old at the same pace.  No room for pretense anymore.  We all know, deep inside, that the years are numbered, and we may or may not see one another again.  There were hugs.  Tight ones.  We had belly laughs that made my stomach muscles sore.  We opened up about Catholic School experiences and realized bringing them out and sharing them felt good for each one of us.  Good to know we survived those harsh years.  Maybe it was that discipline that shaped us into highly respectable, hard-working, adults.  This morning my heart beats with a sweet rhythm that can only come from the love and friendship of my dear childhood friends.  This weekend was a beautiful thing.

Tonight we are invited to a supper and bonfire.  I've offered to take a salad, so will put together a fresh garden coleslaw.  I prefer the vinegary over the creamy type.  The gardens are coming to a close, and it would be a shame not to make the most of the head of cabbage and green peppers that were given to us over the weekend. 

The sun is shining, the flag is moving a smidgen, and the coffee is good and strong.  We're going to kick back today and relax, spend some time out back on the patio.  The Sunday crossword is only half finished, and I'll be darned if I won't finish the difficult bugger.  Have to use my trusty little computer to help solve the puzzle.  Like, how would I know the "Mem. of seven consecutive All-Star Game winning teams, 2003-2009." 

Am thrilled to say that I'm now able to walk a little bit around the house without my walker.  The pain I have is the surgical pain, not hip pain.  I realize it will take time to heal that deep cut, but am doing very well.  Don't want to pamper myself, but rather want to get to walking once again on my own.  Also have to be careful not to get too sassy so I don't fall and hurt myself.  Guess I'll have to simply use good  judgment, plus my hubby closely watches and reminds me what I ought to do or not do. 

Can't quite believe Labor Day Weekend is on its way out.  Halloween will be the next big event, followed by Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Will be time to get out the fleecy blankets and turn on the fireplace.  An entirely new ambiance.  Of course, I don't have to worry about snow removal or any of the yard work.  My hubby tends to all of that.  So, it's quite nice for me to say that I enjoy winter and the beauty of snowfall, evergreen limbs sagging with heavy snow, and cuddling in with a good book and cup of hot chocolate.  The way I see it, at this stage of the game, I'm gonna maximize every single day and moment.  This weekend of renewed friendships has awakened me to the brevity of life.  We are but a whisper amid the clamor.

Today's Trivia:  The first Labor Day in the United States was celebrated on September 5, 1882, in New York City.  It became a federal holiday in 1894.