Saturday, July 31, 2010

Social Drama in NY

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....don't say anything.............but, there's a political royalty wedding going on today!  We have to be hush-hush, tho.

I can't believe I get sucked into stuff like wanting to know what's going on with the rich and shameless.  There's got to be some flaw in me somewhere that 'wants to know.'  First thing this morning I googled Chelsea Clinton's Wedding, and lo and behold, I think somebody's letting the cat out of the bag, or else it's a bunch of horse pucky.

Chelsea's dress is estimated to have cost $20,000.  Far less than mine in 1967 at a high end $125.00.  Flowers alone at $250,000.00.  For my wedding I chose gold chrysanthemums, the large ones, and I thought they were beautiful at a price of about $50.00.  The Clinton-Mezvinsky total wedding cost is guessed to be between 3 and 5 million (an inconsequential gap).
 
When we got married, I was Catholic and my guy of choice was Lutheran.  Things worked out religiously.  But, imagine this bash.  Hillary is Methodist, Bill is Southern Baptist, and the Mezvinskys are Jewish.  Now, isn't that a kettle of fish waiting to be boiled? 

The groom is a Private Wealth Management Associate, the son of two former congress members, his father pled guilty to 31 of 69 charges of bank fraud, mail fraud, and wire fraud, and completed a federal prison term in 2008. The bride is the daughter of a former U.S. President (with a charming White House code of conduct) and the current U.S. Secretary of State and presidential runner-up. 

Chelsea is a vegan.  Supposedly, the wedding menu consists of vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free dishes, but there will be grass-fed organic beef on the menu.  Oh, and the wedding cake will be gluten-free vegan.  My poor parents killed one of their cows in order to serve swiss steak for my wedding, and my Mom did all the baking in one oven.  It's nice nowdays that children have the right and the guts to choose lifestyles like vegetarian or vegan.  My parents would have tarred and feathered me in public if I'd have done that.  We all ate what our farm produced, and my nutrition classes in high school stressed the fact that we need foods from all the food groups if we wanted to be healthy and disease resistant.  And, up until a few years ago, none of us knew what gluten even was.  And, I'm not sure I know now.

Our wedding was held at a church hall a/k/a/ gymnasium.  Chelsea's is going to be held at the Estate of John Jacob Astor IV in Rhinebeck, NY.  The estate is now owned by someone else, who, by the way, was a contributor to Hillary's presidential and senate bids.  (I scratch your back, you scratch mine.)
 
The Clintons must be heartbroken to know that their 'one and only' will have to endure life in a 5th Avenue New York Apartment that the groom bought for a measly $4 million buckos a few years ago.

Perhaps the pulse of my reaction to this affair is obvious from my blog.  But, hey, there's a recession going on.  A double-dipper recession.  Good families are struggling.  Cutting back on things like groceries.  Medical care for their kids.  Husbands and wives are getting pink slips.  No work.  No money.  They don't need to have this lavish wealth pushed into their faces under the guise of hush-hush.  Wouldn't you think that with the Clintons' combined educations, they should know that the more you hush-hush something, the more attention it gets? 

The Clintons are even bringing in toilet facilities for their special wedding guests to the tune of $15,000.00, which really surprises me.  Do people in that caliber really and truly need toilet facilities?  Well, anyway, they're not like the porta potties we ordinary people use at social gatherings, these are supposedly high-classed and will be adorned with elaborate flower arrangements.  (Ooooh, those lucky flowers!)

So it is that a marriage will take place uniting a young girl and young man.  Tomorrow they will be able to relax and go hide somewhere and do what all newlyweds do.  Mama and Papa Clinton will write out checks, the floods of traffic in Rhinebeck will disappear, and life will recede to normalcy.  The next big event for us to watch for is the breaking up of the famous couple.  The Clintons getting their daughter back.  Or, there will be a little bundle of Jewish joy for all of us to oooh and aaah at.  Either way, tomorrow on the television you'll see Bill begging us poor Americans for money to send to Haiti.   

Please forgive me for what I'm going to say next.  It's not meant to offend, but it is what it is.  When we got married, it was customary for wedding guests to wear a silk ribbon with the bride and groom's name and wedding date printed on it, with a cigar tucked inside the ribbon.  Do you suppose Bill is going to do that?

Venting is a good alternative to going to confession!  That's the Catholic in me.