Friday, July 30, 2010

A Clean Tooth Is a Happy Tooth

On my last visit to the dentist, I was introduced to one of the handiest little doo-dads that I've come across in a long time.  The hygienist who cleaned my teeth gave me a couple packets of "free" plastic bristled toothpicks to try out.  They are awesome, and it was easy as pie to start using them.  Of course, the free ones didn't last long, so I went to Walmart and bought a package of 250 DenTek Deep Clean Picks for $2.50.  They remove plaque, food and reduce tooth decay with fluoride coating.  They come in a resealable package, so they're purse friendly.

One of the things I dread most about getting my teeth cleaned is the one inevitable question.  Do you floss?  When I'm asked that, I simply say no and be done with it, but what I'd really like to say is, 'are you frickin' blind?'  They use that question as a weapon of dental intimidation.  They can't ask us to take our clothes off, so they have to have something to antagonize us with.

Flossing is a nuisance plain and simple.  Hygienists give us on-the-house samples of floss with every visit thinking that we're going to actually use it.  Do you prefer waxed or unwaxed?  bubble gum or mint flavor? 

Then there's the problem of what to do with 15 inches of bacteria-infested floss when we're finished using it.  If there isn't a waste basket around, are we supposed to put it in our purse?  throw it on the ground?  leave it for someone else to pick up?  hand it to the person next to us?

So it is that I'm spouting my hurrahs for bristled picks, which now serve as my tooth cleaning doo-dads of choice.  But, I'm still left with the problem of what to do with the twisted little pick once I'm finished with it.

If there's someone out there who's searching for an invention idea, here's one.....how 'bout a 'pick pocket' to put our used picks in???