Sunday, May 23, 2010

Graduation Party


Went to a commencement today. It was so hot in the gym, we were all fanning ourselves with the programs. For it being only May, 90 degrees is way too hot. My hands were so clammy when I clapped my hands they about stuck together. It's a wonder that no one fainted.


The president of the school board spoke to the graduating class, and she delivered a meaningful message that applied not only to the kids, but to all of us. She talked about how important it is that each one be true to him/her self. How every one of us feels different and thinks different, and we shouldn't be afraid to put ourselves "out there" and give it our best shot no matter what that situation may be.


Graduation parties these days are far different from those of my generation. My parents invited my aunt and uncle over to the house for lunch after my graduation, and that was it. The tradition back then was for the girl to get a cedar chest from her parents, or a 'hope chest' as they were called. It was a place to store linens and towels, hopefully to take into a future marriage.


We ate too much at the graduation party, that's for sure. There were roasters of bbq beef and bbq pork sandwiches, cheesy potatoes, macaroni salad, relish tray, fruit tray, meat and cheese tray, all kinds of chips and dips, peanuts, pretzels, and then a dessert table with three big cakes. Each cake had 3 layers with pudding in between. A vanilla, raspberry, and chocolate cake. Plus all kinds of refreshments. I've got to confess that I had two helpings and enjoyed every single bite. Oh, heck, isn't that what parties are for?