Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My Passion for Upcycling

Finding a bright yellow GARAGE SALE sign on a cold November day is sorta like finding a bag of frozen chocolate chip cookies in the freezer when you've got the hungries at 10 o'clock at night.  

I wanted to jump up and down, scream and holler. Migod, all of these pretty poinsettias and gold eucalyptus marked $1.25.  All the bunches were off the table and in my arms before someone else had the chance to grab 'em.  I had struck the mother lode of flowers, and the challenge was on.  It felt just like the childhood dare, "Betcha can't do it!"
Well, move over, Rover.  Making my own flower arrangements is something I've done for years.  It all started when the money tree we planted back of the house up and died.  I learned that if I wanted something bad enough, I could find a way to make it myself.  Using discards only upped the ante.  Money saved = money earned.

It's just like my writing my daily blogs.  I never know what I'll write until I turn on the laptop and log onto my dashboard.  My blogs are just as much of a surprise to me as they are to my readers.  So it is with my putting flowers together.

In my seasonal stash, I resurrected green and gold accents, red-berry branches, and a gold bird and a red cardinal.  I gathered my pincher pliers, Styrofoam, scissors, and two baskets...sat down on the living room floor, and my party began.  

I asked hubby to cut pieces of Styrofoam to fit in the bottom of each basket.  The Styrofoam serves to hold the flowers in place.  I added one flower at a time, mixed the shades of pink and red together, added accents for height, and here's what I did with my $1.25........


Gold bird on basket handle


Cardinal nestled above the green and gold
leaves near the right front center.