- SMILES is supposed to be the longest word in the dictionary because there is a "mile" between the S'S.
- No U.S. President has had a last name starting with S, even though it is the most common name initial in the U.S.
- The modern-day Seven Seas are: North Atlantic, South Atlantic, North Pacific, South Pacific, Indian, Antarctic, and Arctic Oceans.
- Stradivarius Violin. The name "Stradivarius" is associated with excellence. To be called 'the Stradivarian of any field is the finest there is.
- SOS, the standard emergency signal in Morse Code.
- Scotland supposedly has the most redheads.
- South Carolina and South Dakota are the two U.S. states starting with an S.
- Scorpio is the 8th astrological sign in the Zodiac. Sign: the Scorpion.
- Sagittarius is the 9th astrological sign in the Zodiac. Sigh: the Archer.
- Johnny Carson was a Scorpio. Hubby is a Scorpio.
- One of the most difficult tongue twisters: The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick.
- The letter S is the 7th most common letter in English and the third-most common consonant after t and n.
- The Sahara is the largest and driest desert in the world. It occupies 10% of the African Continent.
- Siberia occupies 75% of modern-day Russia. Siberia is bigger than Canada. Siberia covers 9 time zones.
- Switching letters is called spoonerism. For example, saying jag of Flapan, instead of flag of Japan.
- Sweet William, sassafras, sunflower, salvia, shamrock, snapdragon
- Remember sideburns and saddle shoes?
- A Sloppy Joe is an American sandwich made of ground beef, onions, tomato sauce or ketchup served on a hamburger bun. The original Sloppy Joe Sandwich was first made by a cook named Joe at a cafe in Sioux City, Iowa, as a variation of the "loose meat" sandwich.
- Supreme Being, Supreme Court, and the Supremes
- Shepherd and Spirituality
- S.O.S. pot scrubbing pads were invented in 1917 by Ed Cox from San Francisco. His wife came up with the name, which stands for "Save Our Saucepans."
- Another word to refer to old age is Senectitude.
- Socrates - ancient Greek philosopher who made a clear distinction between true knowledge and opinion. He defined true knowledge as eternal, unchanging and absolute. He defined opinion as changing, temporary, and relative.
- Smoky Mountains - named after the natural fog that often hovers over the range in the morning and after rainfall. The fog is the result of warm humid air from the Gulf of Mexico cooling in the higher elevations of Southern Appalachia.
- Mr. See owned a saw. And Mr. Soar owned a seesaw. Now See's saw sawed Soar's seesaw before Soar saw See, which made Soar sore. Had Soar seen See's saw before See sawed Soar's seesaw, See's saw would not have sawed Soar's seesaw. So See's saw sawed Soar's seesaw. But it was sad to see Soar so sore just because See's saw sawed Soar's seesaw.
- President Harry Truman's middle name was just the letter "S."
Tuesday, September 18, 2012
S is for Shagbark Hickory Tree
Posted by Nature Weaver Gypsy