- Pisces, the 12th astrological sign in the Zodiac. Symbol: fish.
- Peru has more pyramids than Egypt.
- Pea - one of the oldest cultivated crops known to man.
- The first paperback was printed by Penguin Publishing in 1935.
- Before 1863, the U.S. Postal Service was free.
- Pez, invented in 1927.
- Pennsylvania is the only U.S. state starting with P.
- Pearl Harbor - 1941 attack
- Piano, my favorite musical instrument
- Tongue Twister: Peter Prangle, the prickly pear picker, picked three perfectly prickly pears.
- Popcorn, pringles, pretzels, peanuts, potato chips, Pepsi, pounds
- Polka, pickles, plasma, parsnip
- Pangrams are sentences using every letter of the alphabet at least one time. The trophy for the shortest English sentence created using all the letters of the alphabet goes to, "Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz."
- Pekingese, Polar Bear, Poodle, Puffin, Porcupine
- Pansy, petunia, phlox, peony, periwinkle, primrose, plumeria, poppy, poinsettia.
- Is Pluto a planet?
- About 50% of Americans live within 50 miles of their birthplace. This is called Propinquity.
- When two words are combined to form a single word (motor + hotel = motel.....or.....breakfast + lunch = brunch) the new word is called a "portmanteau."
- Pen Pal and Pay Pal.
- Planters Peanut Company mascot, Mr. Peanut, was created during a contest for schoolchildren in 1916.
- A group of owls is called a Parliament.
- "Polish" is the only word in the English language that, when capitalized, is changed from a noun or verb to a nationality.
- The pin that holds a hinge together is called a 'pintle.'
- Penta (from Greek) means 'five.'
- Pentagon, the five-sided building in Arlington, Virginia, that houses the headquarters of the US Department of Defense.
- Pentateuch, the first five books of the Old Testament: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy.
Monday, September 17, 2012
P is for Persimmon Tree
Posted by Nature Weaver Gypsy