Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Surprise In the Garden

Me:  Where did you plant the butternut squash?

He:   Right there.

Me:  Well, where are they?

He:  That's what I'm wondering.

Me:  What are these funny looking things?  They look like gourds.

Crookneck Squash
That's pretty much the substance of our garden chat.  There's no point including my cussing, cuz that would only serve to mar the little bit of lady that's left of me.  Suffice it to say, we won't be harvesting my beloved butternuts.  Instead we'll be harvesting what looks like a goose with warts.


My plan today is to gather one of these wart hogs, throw it in the oven, and see what it tastes like.  I'm the first to say one should never judge by appearance, but this is pushing my limits.  


Should I decide the crookneck doesn't hold a candle to my tasty butternuts, then the whole frickin' lot of 'em is going over the ledge into the creek.  And, you might as well expect there to be cussing.  Most definitely cussing. 


************************

PHOTO OF THE DAY
You'd better watch your step!