Sunday, May 27, 2012

Vatican: Pope's Butler Charged

Tsk.  Tsk.  Tsk.  Trouble's brewing in the Vatican again.

Yes, yes, I know this is a hair-trigger subject, but that's not going to curtail my thoughts.  I'm what they call a  Cafeteria Catholic.  My curiosities were so burdensome that I sailed my own ship on the high seas of the church's history, studied every word and paragraph of the Old and New Testaments, went on a pilgrimage to Rome, Italy, where Pope John Paul held my hand and gave me his Papal Blessing.  Before doing all this, my heart, soul and head were starving to death on the spoonful of religious truth the church doled out to me.  I was hungry and went by myself to the spiritual cafeteria, filled my plate, and realized what was edible for me and what was not. You see, it's my opinion that you can't have faith without doubt; and, without doubt, you have blindness.

The Pope's butler is charged with illegal possession and leaking of confidential documents, reports, and poison-pen memos exposing political infighting, financial mismanagement, possible money laundering and administrative chaos within the Apostolic Palace.

What could possibly be the butler's motive for standing up to this mighty power structure?  What could urge him to violate the sacred trust placed in him?  What made him betray the Head of the Catholic Church?  What wrongdoing did he discover bubbling beneath the lid of the Catholic kettle?

Why is the Pope harboring and hiding potentially harmful documents in the first place?  Why is revealing the truth the crime?  Why on earth would this 46-year-old man, who lives with his wife and three children in an apartment inside the Vatican, jeopardize himself and his family?  He could go to prison.  Can he be fairly tried within the Vatican, by the Vatican, for violating the Vatican?   Did he merely examine his conscience, as the Catholic Church teaches, and do the right thing by bringing this to light?  What would Jesus do if he was in the butler's shoes?

Guess we're just going to have to keep our eyes and ears on high alert.  As Paul Harvey would have said, we're going to have to wait to hear the rest of the story.