Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Spider Webs and Twisted Threads

Wednesday already, week is going fast.  We finished our income tax obligations yesterday, so we've declared today a free day.  Hubby is going fishing, and the Fuzzy One and I will stay back and have a girls day planned.

My weaving has taken a new spin.  I went to a toy store and bought a kit with 4 spongy looms and directions for making eight patterns of friendship bracelets.  The kit is designed for kids over age 8.  Would you believe neither of us could understand the directions without watching the online videos?

The kit came with embroidery thread.  Talk about a tangled mess.  My nerves were getting frayed, so I ditched the floss and got out my own threads that didn't knot so much.  It's just fun making things I've never made before.  I love wrist bracelets and ankle bracelets, so it'll be something for me to fiddle with now that Capri pants and sandals are in season.  My nieces like the same funky jewelry I do, so once more they'll be my little guinea pigs.  

Weaving makes me think of spiders.  How in the world do they know how to spin webs?  Guess it's another one of those gifts that insects were given that we weren't.  Poor little spider spins a web so he can catch other insects for supper, and we humans quickly whisk it away out of embarrassment.  Who do we think we are.

I'm feeling fairly humbled right now, thinking that a spider instinctively knows how to weave a web, and here the two of us couldn't figure out weaving instructions written for an 8 year-old.


"The means to gain happiness
 is to throw out from oneself
 like a spider
 in all directions
 an adhesive web of love,
 and to catch in it all that comes."
~Leo Tolstoy