Thursday, March 22, 2012

Disappointment and Silence

Guess I'm feeling disappointed this morning, and that's not a fun feeling.  The reason isn't necessary to reveal, but disappointment seems like a good topic to write about.

As a little girl, I remember being disappointed by the weather.  If our family of four had a fishing day planned and we woke up to a thunderstorm, I was so disappointed.  When I'd come home from school and daddy had sold our lambs, I'd be more than disappointed.  If I didn't get to eat the gizzard out of a fried chicken, I'd be disappointed.  Childhood was one long string of disappointments.

My mom taught me not to make plans and bank on them.....if you don't plan, you won't be disappointed was her philosophy.  There's a ton of truth in this, and maybe that's why I try to leave room for the unexpected to happen.  Still, a person is sometimes let down no matter what.

Overcoming disappointment is not easy.  The way I tend to deal with my hurts is to crawl inside my turtle shell and stay there until I feel better.  Don't talk to me, and don't expect me to talk.  Silence is my therapist.  Oh, I know this sounds like an adult pout, but it works for me.  I'm not likely to mend my heart by going out for a 2-mile sprint or calling a girlfriend for lunch.  I prefer flying solo when I feel this way.

If we share our troubles with someone else, that person won't ever forget what we tell them.  We will.  They won't.  It's best to wait out the adverse emotion and let it dissolve into nothingness.