Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Mass Body Index

Yesterday's eye exam went okay.  I have a cataract on my left eye and an Epiretinal Membrane on my right eye.  So far, the wrinkled-cellophane-like membrane isn't affecting the macula or my vision, and for that I'm thankful.  There's also a freckle on the back of my right eye.  The doctor said we can get freckles anywhere, even on our eyes.

There were a couple of new steps to the routine exam, one being a weigh-in to determine my BMI (body mass index).  It's a mathematical formula created to measure one's fatness.  The computer's software wants to know what we weigh and how tall we are.  Then it magically calculates our BMI......one more frustrating number like blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar.  This BMI number binned me in  the Skinny Bin, the Overweight Bin, or the Obese Bin.  The Skinny Bin wasn't an option, so common sense tells me I was ranked and filed either overweight or obese.  And, that's one heck of a way to be tagged, in my opinion.

They detected only a slight change in my eyesight, so I opted to stick with my current lenses until mid-July when I go back to see how my resident cataract, membrane, and freckle are faring.

A thought just struck me.  I wonder if their computer cares what color my eyes are.  Hmmmmm.