Friday, December 02, 2011

The Witty World of Words

Like I've said many times, my Mom was an avid reader.  I don't know how many times she told me that when something bothers me, I should get a book and start reading.  Reading will get my mind off my problem.

How right she was.  But, there was a bonus to my burying my brain in a book.  I unknowingly became a wordsmith.....I love words and like to know everything about them, for instance.........

The word "alphabet" came from the first two letters of the Greek alphabet....alpha and beta.

The word "news" came from the first letters of the words North, East, West, and South.  This was because information was being gathered from all different directions.

The word "queue" is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are removed.

"Underground" is the only word in the English language that begins and ends with the letters "und."

There is a seven-letter word in the English language that contains nine other words without rearranging any of its letters, "therein."  -- the, there, he, in, rein, her, here, ere,  herein.

"Stewardesses" and "reverberated" are the two longest words that can be typed with only the left hand.

The longest word that can be typed using only the right hand is "lollipop."

"Skepticisms" is the longest word that can be typed using alternate hands.

The only word that consists of two letters, each used three times, is the word "deeded."

There is a word in the English language with only one vowel, which occurs six times:  Indivisibility.

The letters H I O X look the same if you turn them upside down or view them from behind.

The letter W is the only letter in the alphabet that doesn't have one syllable.  It has three.

The abbreviation for pounds weight "lb" comes from the seventh sign of the zodiac, Libra, meaning balance, and is symbolized by scales.

The word "sheriff" came from "shire reeve."  During early years of monarchy in England, each shire had a reeve who was the keeper of peace in that shire.  When the term was brought to the United States, it was shortened to Sheriff.


Thank you from my heart, Hubby,
for the most beautiful poinsettia
to ever grace our home!
Personally, I think it's better to put love into action, rather than put it into words!