Tis the season of leftovers, and all of us are eager for ways to magically turn them into appealing new meals.........
- Turn bread into bread sticks: Cut bread into strips, brush with butter or olive oil, season with favorite seasonings, bake till crispy.
- Turn bread into croutons for lettuce salads: Dice bread into cubes, brush with olive oil, and season before baking.
- Turkey carcasses and vegetable scraps can be boiled down for stock and soups. We did this at our house, added noodles homemade by the Amish, and had a wonderful meal of homemade turkey noodle soup.
- With leftover rice, stir up a quick rice pudding. Combine 1 cup cooked rice, 1 cup vanilla yogurt, 1 cup applesauce, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Mix well, spoon into dishes and serve.
- Leftover mashed potatoes can be turned into potato pancakes by taking 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes, 1 or 2 eggs, 1/4 cup four, salt, pepper, garlic, chopped onion or chives. Preheat skillet and add a couple Tablespoons of shortening or oil. Pour 1/4 cup batter into hot skillet, press with a spatula to flatten, brown on both sides.
- Turn leftover cranberry sauce into a one-serving salad vinaigrette by mixing together 2 Tablespoons cranberry sauce, 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard, and 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Replace cream of mushroom soup that's called for in a casserole recipe with leftover gravy. The gravy is flavorful and will add a new spin to the dish.