Monday, October 17, 2011

Apple Cake and Warm Sauce

I'm pretty sure there's a squirrel inside of me.....

Got a call Saturday from a friend asking if I'd like a box of homegrown apples.  YES!  I'll stash them away in the freezer.

We aren't prone to eating ooey-gooey desserts when it's just the two of us here, but once in awhile rules should be broken.   

Not only did I bake this moist apple cake (with caramel sauce), but I peeled, cut up, and froze 16 cups of sliced apples for winter, putting 4 cups in a zip-lock bag. 

The cake is so-o-o-o moist, and the caramel sauce kicks it over the top like a field goal.  It's the down-home kind of comfort dessert that, if I was here all by myself, I could stick my face right in the pan.  Skip the fork and skip the etiquette. 

Apple Cake With Sauce

4 c. peeled, chopped apples
2 c. sugar (I used 1-1/2)
2 c. flour
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
3/4 c. vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In bowl, stir together apples and sugar.  Add dry ingredients and stir well.  In separate bowl, beat eggs, oil, and vanilla.  Stir egg mixture into apple mixture until thoroughly mixed and moistened.  Pour into greased 9 x 13 pan.  Bake 50 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly pressed.  Serve and drizzle the warm caramel sauce over each piece.

Sauce

1 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter (1 stick)
1/2 c. evaporated milk (I used skim milk)
1 tsp. vanilla

Place all ingredients together in saucepan.  Stir.  Bring to boil over medium high heat and cook for 3 minutes.  Serve warm over apple cake.

Warning:  Serve large pieces to avoid Second-Piece Syndrome.