Friday, August 12, 2011

Change

Man alive, we're swimming in vegetables right now.  Our kitchen cupboard has tomatoes lined up like soldiers, alongside the platoons of zucchini, cucumbers, and peppers......all patiently waiting to be eaten.  It's hard to imagine that already it's mid-August and our schools will be starting in another week.  Labor Day is around the corner, and autumn will be taking hold of the reins before we know it.

The time between two seasons, when the weather can't decide which season it wants to be, is a comforting hug of Hope.  I'm one who waits for the seasons to change.  I tire of the heat, and I tire of the cold.  I tire of wearing winter clothes, and I tire of wearing summer clothes.  I tire of the long days, and I tire of the short days.  Living where we do, I'm always looking forward to the seasonal switch-over next in line. 

Just as we have to adapt to the many changes that are always happening, this time of year we have to come up with new ways of using the vegetables waiting in line on our kitchen counters.  It's all about dealing with what we have before us at the moment.

Today we're making my Mom's Refrigerator Pickle recipe.  All you do is soak the sliced cucumbers in salt water for awhile.  Bring to a boil and let cool:  1 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup vinegar.  Pour over sliced cucumbers and onions.  Refrigerate.