Saturday, June 25, 2011

Exercising My Freedom of Speech

News headlines this morning have gay-rights supporters wearing ear-to-ear smiles and proudly waving their flag of stripes.  New York Governor Cuomo said, "We've reached a new level of social justice."

Indeed we have. 

I am clueless when it comes to the gay kingdom.  For example, I had to research the flag they are waving, because there's only one flag that means anything to me.

I come to find out that the LGBT flag is a symbol of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender, it originated in California in the 1970s, and is now used worldwide.  As of 2008, their flag consists of six stripes of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and violet.  The original flag had two more stripes, pink (symbolizing sexuality) and turquoise (symbolizing magic/art), but they were taken out for some manufacturing reasons.

What do the six remaining colors represent?  Well, the colors stand for things all of us world citizens hope for, none of which has anything to do with being solely of the LGBT sector.

Red - life
Orange - healing
Yellow - sunlight
Green - serenity with nature
Blue - harmony
Violet - spirit

Who on this planet doesn't want life, healing, sunlight, serenity, harmony and spirit?  That's the ideal human rainbow. Shouldn't there be one more colored stripe in this flag to represent their cause?   After all, they are fighting for something additional that many of us still consider to be immoral.  

That's as far as I'll go, because I'm about as ill-informed about this whole thing as it gets.  My country-girl parochial upbringing sheltered me from this alien lifestyle, and that's just fine with me. 

I certainly believe in the six things this flag stands for......but I can't say that I support the reason it's flying high in NY today.