Friday, April 08, 2011

Challenge #30 - Staying Ahead of the Game


Maxine tries.  We all try.  Do we see results?  Not much of the time.  Anyway, that's the way it is for me.

There's another way to look at our endless trying.  What would we be like if we'd never have tried?  Erase all of our attempts to be the best we can be, and there may be someone different looking at us in the mirror.

In 2001, I was in Maine with two dear friends.  We were eating freshly caught Maine lobster at the home of my one friend's uncle.  Besides getting lessons on how to disassemble and eat a whole lobster, I learned some Maine sayings that I was quick to write down in my notebook so I wouldn't forget them.

One, "Little taps will kill the devil."

Two, "I may shake, rattle, and roll, and bounce,
but I'm still movin', and that's all that counts."

Three, "Sometimes the bear eats you--
Sometimes you eat the bear."

So, I guess I'll continue with my little taps.  Trying in small increments.  Maybe I won't ever see drastic results, but hopefully I can maintain a status quo.  We humans are so quick to see what I call our "freckles"......we compare ourselves to others, forgetting about the unalterable gene structure that makes us who we are.  We tend to zero in on what we think is wrong with us.  Pshaw to that!  We should rather zero in on all that is right with us and hold that in our mind vision.  It is absolutely possible to destroy our beautiful lives by dwelling and fretting about things that are influenced totally by the movies, the media, and the beauty magazines. Peer pressure is one of the enemies of our society.  It ensnares us in our adolescence and keeps us trapped until we reach my age, and then we see it for what it really is.  Gobbledegook.