Wednesday, March 09, 2011

My 40-Day Challenge

The liturgical calendar marks today as Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent.

Lent means something a whole lot different and deeper to me now than it did when I was a little girl.  Back then it meant giving up candy for forty days.  The whole idea was completely peer pressure for me, because my family didn't eat candy that much anyway.  So, I simply went along with the other kids, suffering the silly penance of no candy.

Life has been a parade of losses, so I don't really think Our Creator necessarily expects us to give up the things He graciously gave to us.  Maybe He would appreciate it more if we would organize our internal messes that can get us off-kilter and out of balance with one another.

This year my personal challenge is to devote my next 40 blogs to self-inspiration.  How can I take an honest look at the debris that is floating around in my head and heart, decide what should stay and what should be thrown away once and for all.  Then, hopefully when Easter Sunday arrives, I will have a renewed spirit, refreshed and ready to get on with Spring, Summer, and life in general.

Let the challenge begin......