Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Challenge #7 - Be Careful

Making coffee at 6 a.m. isn't my idea, but the fuzzy one had urgent business to tend to and so the two of us came downstairs and stayed downstairs.  It's dark outside as I type this, and silence is everywhere.  The paper boy must have left off our morning paper, cuz the fuzzy one let out one of her warning barks.  She alerts me to anything and everything.  Little sweetheart wants to protect her mama.  She has no conception whatsoever of size.

My Lenten challenge to come up with 40 inspirational blogs is proving to be just that.....a challenge.  I find myself looking for ideas.  Yesterday we ate Chinese for lunch, and when the waitress left the bill and two fortune cookies on our table, a light bulb went on.  Aha!  Here might be an inspiration for me to write about.

I broke open the cookie, and my fortune read, "Be careful.  Straight trees can have crooked roots."

My radar is turned on high all of the time anyway, so I am quick to notice conflicting stories, over-exaggerations, and simple non-truths.  The devil's advocate in me never sleeps.

These last five days as I watch the CNN reporting of the potentially catastrophic situation in Japan, something in the back of my head tells me we're not getting the whole story.  When the big jugs are asked point blank how bad the situation is at the now-disabled six nuclear plants, they hem and haw and skirt around trying to think of words that will appease us, yet keep them off the hook.  Nobody is saying anything of real substance.  I just want to scream, "Will somebody just tell the world what the hell is going on over there?"

When I was a little girl, I remember my parents and grandparents talking about man destroying himself.  Is this what they were talking about?

How bad is the situation?  Can the winds over Japan push the radiation our way?   Should we be concerned about the nuclear plants in our own country?  Might we find ourselves in this same circumstance one of these days?  Are America's nuclear plants functioning on out-dated engineering?  Are we going to continue on with the idea of nuclear power?  Why are they telling the people that higher levels of radiation won't necessarily pose much of a danger to their health?  The people in Japan must be half nuts with the mounting fears and paralyzing grief.....and add on top of that the endless hours and days of waiting.

It just seems to me that if my inklings are right and we are actually being coddled with  highly calculated political stuttering, then my fortune was right.  We'd best be careful of the straight trees with crooked roots.