Thursday, February 03, 2011

Lazy Susan Recipes

Late afternoon yesterday I officially declared war on our lazy susan---the circular food filing cabinet in the kitchen.  It seems lately when we spin it around to find something, all we find is a hodge-podge of cans and boxes piled on top of each other.

I am a person with limitations.  When I reach my limit, then things start to fly.  I thought to myself there has to be a way to conquer this cupboard catastrophe, so I made up a new game with new rules, rolled up my sweatshirt sleeves, and started playing.  I picked out a large can of Chinese vegetables and a box of Tuna Tetrazzini mix.  Went to the refrigerator freezer and took out a pound of frozen ground turkey.  Three weird ingredients, but that is exactly my game challenge.

First, I thawed the ground turkey in the microwave.  In a pan, I followed the boxed Tetrazzini directions using the juice from the canned Chinese vegetables for part of the water measurement.  When the turkey was thawed, I fried it in a pan with sauteed green onions.  Then I mixed the prepared Tetrazzini, Chinese vegetables, and ground turkey together, added a sprinkle of grated cheddar cheese, put it all in a casserole dish, and popped it in a 350 oven.

Forty-five minutes later we sat down to a bubbly casserole that rocked the socks off my husband.  DeeeeLishUs!  My goal is to keep doing this until there's some semblance of organization in the lazy susan and I can put cans on one layer and boxes on the other, instead of having both mixed together.

After I finish writing today's blog, I'm gonna head straight to the kitchen and play my new game again.  It'll be fun to see what silly ingredients I take out of the susan for tonight's exciting supper recipe that will either wow my husband again or help us to control our portions.  Either way, it's another one of those win-win situations, as I see it.

Tata for today.