Wednesday, January 12, 2011

National Geographic Offer

In case anyone is interested, there is a number to call to have telemarketer calls blocked from your cell phone.  That number is 1-888-382-1222.  The instructions are clear and concise. 

I try to pass on information like this, simply because not all of us are aware of some of the services available.  And, if you feel like I do, it's better to prevent something than complain about it.

Twenty degrees above zero this morning, with bright sunshine.  Other parts of the country may be getting more snow today, but our state is being spared.  Life can go on as usual, without school closings and social postponements. 

In yesterday's mail we received an envelope from National Geographic offering a 12-month subscription for $12 plus $3.95 shipping and handling.  The annual newsstand price would be $71.88.  Plus, with a paid order we'd receive a free gift....a world map. 

Am seriously contemplating a subscription.  Mainly because National Geographic features magnificent photos of world wonders and focuses on key global issues.  I like reading about diverse cultures, animals of other countries, exotic places, and other marvels and mysteries.  The Internet offers us all of this, but sometimes it's nice to have a magazine tucked in my purse for those times when I have to wait.  I'm not one who can idly sit and wait, without doing something with my mind.  I've got to have a crossword or a book with me to tame the lapping brain waves.

Magazines have gotten fairly expensive to buy by the single issue in the grocery store or newsstand.  Some are as high as $8 or $9 for one issue.  Every page would have to be filled with photos of Richard Gere for me to pay that kind of a price.

We share our magazines and the daily newspaper with our neighbors.  When we're finished reading them, they get delivered next door.  Isn't there an old saying......The waste of plenty is the resource of scarcity