Sunday, January 23, 2011

Mathematical Phenomenon

This morning I received the coolest email forward from my cousin MH in South Dakota listing the four unusual dates this year.....1/1/11,  1/11/11,  11/1/11,  11/11/11.   Now, go figure this out.....take the last 2 digits of the year you were born plus the age you will be this year and it will equal to 111.

Number curiosities, such as this, intrigue me to no end.  Math was never my strong skill, so the solving of this phenomenon is too far out of the ball park for me.  Who comes up with this stuff, that's what I'd like to know.

Here's another one for you.  Grab a calculator. 
  1. Key in the first three digits of your phone number (not the area code).
  2. Multiply by 80.
  3. Add 1.
  4. Multiply by 250.
  5. Add the last four digits of your phone number.
  6. Add the last four digits of your phone number again.
  7. Subtract 250.
  8. Divide number by 2.
  9. Do you recognize the answer?
That's it for today.  My little family is going to burrow in, as it's just a titch above zero where we live.  The furnace is running, the Sunday Paper has been delivered, and then there are the two big football playoffs this afternoon to see who will play in the Super Bowl.  It's hilarious that I make money bets on the Super Bowl every year, even though I don't really follow the game of football.  It's sort of like these mathematical equations.....they're a whole lot of  fun, even though I don't really understand them.