Sunday, January 16, 2011

Daily Prayer

We Americans have been immersed in gut-wrenching sadness this past week following Tucson's senseless shootings.  Like innocent children, we all need someone to reassure us that everything is going to be okay.

Prayer is a sweet and simple form of poetry that can help us reach out for more strength and understanding.  The nice thing about prayer is that we can say it in a way that relates to our daily routines and responsibilities.....

Monday - Wash Day
Lord, help me wash away all my selfishness and vanity, so I may serve you with perfect humility through the week ahead.

Tuesday - Ironing Day
Dear Lord, help me iron out all the wrinkles of prejudice I have collected through the years so that I may see the beauty in others.

Wednesday - Mending Day
Oh Lord, help me mend my ways so I will not set a bad example for others.

Thursday - Cleaning Day
Lord, please help me to dust out all the many faults I have been hiding in the secret corners of my heart.

Friday - Shopping Day
Lord, give me the wisdom to shop wisely so I may purchase eternal happiness for myself and all others in need of love and understanding.

Saturday - Cooking Day
Help me, Lord, to brew a big kettle of brotherly love and serve it with clean, sweet bread of human kindness.

Sunday - The Lord's Day
O Lord, I have prepared my house for you.  Please come into my heart so I may spend the day and the rest of my life in your presence.