Wednesday, November 03, 2010

The Grand Scheme of Things

My visit to the optometrist is over.  Will be going back in six months, as I have a cataract now on my left eye.  Plus the start of a form of retinal degeneration.  I'm refusing to get all shook up about this, but rather will accept it because it's simply a matter of the aging process.  It's not at the stage where treatment is necessary, and the progress will be closely monitored with the help of high-tech testing.  I didn't need a prescription chanage and my glasses were still under warranty, so I'm getting new lenses.  A person has to use these warranties, because initially the cost of my glasses was sky high.  Again, I follow in my mother's footsteps, as she was the one in our family with serious eye problems. 

Interesting how we're a jumble of genes, inheriting some from our biological fathers and some from our biological mothers.  As our bodies begin the deterioration process, we quickly figure out which side of the family to blame.  We are such blamers, aren't we?

When something goes wrong, it seems the first sensible thing to do is place the blame somewhere other than on ourselves.  I know I do that here at home a lot of times, and then I feel so stupid for having said what I said.  In reality, "if you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."

After my appointment, we went to the library so I could pick up a book.  One of the middle school classes participates in a book reading program with the library, and a volunteer reads the same book as one of the students and then for three Tuesdays the student and volunteer get together to discuss the book.  This is so very enjoyable for me, and I read books that otherwise I wouldn't.  The one-on-one discussion is very personal and the student is free to offer his/her reaction to the book and author, and the volunteer does likewise.  I am pleased to be part of this positive program, as I feel reading is such a monumental part of a child's education.  Then on the last Tuesday we share donuts and coffee/juice.  The donuts are donated by a local convenience store. 

Tonight is an annual meat ball supper held in a small town church about twenty miles from our house.  This supper has gotten to be a 4-some special date each year.  Not many places anymore serve a supper family style where they pass the meat balls, mashed potatoes, gravy, and cole slaw.  To top the meal off, each place setting has a homemade piece of pumpkin pie waiting for the guest.  Yummy yum yum!

It's so fun having something to look forward to, isn't it?  I've outgrown "have-tos" and now greatly prefer "want-tos."  We've done our share, and now it's time to skim the cream off the top.  There are some who fear retirement not knowing what they will do with themselves.  But, that is hardly the case at our house.  As we say, no matter what happens in our future, no one can ever take away from us the fun we've had since we turned in our boxing gloves.   We both took our social security at 62, and started our bank account of memories.  The deposits consist of the five simple rules to retirement:
1.  Free your heart from hostility.
2.  Free your mind from worries.
3.  Live simply.
4.  Give more.
5.  Expect less.

Today's Trivia:  The average person over 50 mentally pictures themselves as 15 years younger than they really are.  People don't want to see who they really are.  They want to see who they want to be.