Monday, November 15, 2010

Bumps in the Road

A pretty morning follows yesterday's first snowfall.  The sun is shining, and the air is nippy.  I must say, it's a perfect November day for where I live.

Well, almost perfect.  When I logged onto my laptop this morning to write my blog, I first checked to see if we had any new emails.  Omigod, all our email contacts were gone.  Yup, our email address book is empty.  Zip.  My knee-jerk reaction was a hacker, and what if the hacker sent out some obscene emails from our email account to our friends. 

I immediately called MJ and CN to see if they'd gotten a spam obscenity from us this morning.  We discussed the email problem for a while, but then chatted about other stuff.  Good thing I had computer problems, cuz we sure had a nice unexpected phone visit.  We even set in motion a day trip one day soon when the weather is nice like it is today.

As for the email problem, I've decided to set up a new email account for us within the next day or so.  The Internet is wonderful, but it is not without its problems, that's for sure.  I'll be able to retrieve most of the addresses from our 'sent' file. 
Every day we wake up to new bumps in the road, don't we?  Life is a flowing stream of small annoyances that need our attention and take up our time.  Patience is the key word.  Sometimes I have it, and sometimes I don't.  Depends on my mood, and it depends on the size of the bump. 

A few nights ago I went upstairs to bed, and the second I laid my head down I remembered I didn't do something I'd intended to do.  It was like somebody hit me in the head with a sledge hammer.  My mind kept festering about it until I finally got out of bed, came back downstairs and took care of it.  If I hadn't, I most likely would have laid there, eyes wide open, unable to get a good night's sleep. I don't know why it is, but the later in the day it gets, the more things bother me.

A person feels a whole lot better if we're able to talk about stuff that bothers us.  In our household, we have an open-end policy with regard to this.  I couldn't imagine living with someone that I couldn't have heart-to-heart talks with.  The more a person bottles things up, the more tendency there is for us to blow up. Our minds have a way of dramatizing little things and puffing them up into big things.  Wouldn't it be nice if we had a knob on the side of our heads, like the old-time radios, where we could simply tune down our thoughts to manageable size. 

Oh, we know better, and we try not to let things upset us.  But, it's not that easy.  Here's a little story that says it best.

Late in the month of December, an elementary school principal said to his teachers, "Let's all write out our New Year's resolutions about how we can be better teachers, and I'll put them on the staff bulletin board.  That way, we can be mutually supportive of our efforts to keep those resolutions.


The teachers agreed that it was a good idea and when the resolutions were posted, they all crowded around the bulletin board to read them.  One of the young teachers in the group suddenly went into a fit of anger.  "He didn't put up my resolution!  It was one of the first ones in.  He doesn't care about me.  That just shows what it's like around here."


On and on she ranted.  The principal overheard all of this from his office down the hall and was mortified.  He hadn't meant to exclude her resolution.  Quickly rummaging through the papers on his desk, he found it and immediately went to the bulletin board and tacked it up.  The resolution read, "I resolve not to let little things bother me anymore."