Thursday, September 09, 2010

Graduation Day!

No procession.  No Pomp and Circumstance.  Just me, switching privately and quietly over from the walker to a cane.  My Momma's cane.  The one filled with the energy and gusto she left behind for me.  Yup, yesterday I graduated to using a cane.

Funny thing, but until now I never really knew the proper way to use a cane.  The right way is to hold the cane in the hand of one's good leg.  Start walking with the good leg, and put the cane ahead same time as the bad leg to give it support.  Works so cool, but just never knew that before.  I just thought a person used a cane with the right hand and went on with business.  Life just keeps on teaching me new stuff.

Today it's cloudy, but when I woke up early this morning the eastern sky was bright pink as the sun was starting to come up.  I was half sleeping yet, so didn't have the awareness to grab the camera.  Oh, well, it's in my mind's eye nevertheless.  Isn't the "mind's eye" something extraordinary when one thinks about it?   

We're off and running today, I think.  We have some events coming up in the next couple of weeks, and I need to buy some supplies where there's a bigger selection from which to choose.  So, that's a perfect excuse to take a drive to one of the bigger cities within 100 miles of where we live.  Since my surgery, my hubby pushes me around stores in a wheelchair so I don't tire too much or start hurting more than necessary.

I've received so many beautiful get-well cards, and each one has brought me a extra helping of happiness.  One doesn't realize the importance of the card until we're down and out ourselves.  In this morning's mail I received a most beautiful card and caring handwritten note from my hubby's aunt, and another of his aunts called me on the phone yesterday.  I don't have an aunt of my own, so I've adopted my in-law aunties.  They're getting up in years now, too.  That darned life cycle just doesn't slow down.  Not for anyone.

Have to make a list of things I need to buy.  Without a list, I'm sure to come back home having forgotten an important piece of my project.  Why is it that when a person gets in a store the mind goes blank? 

Today's Trivia:  Rats multiply so rapidly that in 18 months, two rats could have over a million descendants.