Monday, September 20, 2010

Foxy Appetizers

Isn't he cute?
Drove to the closest Kwik Trip for chicken sandwiches last evening.  We weren't real hungry, so we decided going for the sandwiches would give us a good excuse for an evening drive.  It was a toss-up between their cheeseburgers or the chicken sandwiches.  We opted for chicken.  On our way back home, our headlights caught sight of a red fox sneaking across the road and into the road ditch.  Darkness had already set in, so he must've decided to venture out with less threat of human hostility.  I've always been intrigued by the cute face of the fox and their big bushy tails.  They look so much like dogs, that's probably why I like them so much.

Am invited to a girls-only gathering this afternoon to celebrate a birthday.  Each of us are going to bring a snack and our own beverage.  Now with the internet, the cookbooks in my cupboard get used even less than before.  What I like about online recipes are the comments left by those who've tried the recipe.  If it's a 5-star recipe, then I make it with no apprehension.  Here's the recipe I'm going to put together:
BLT Bites
28 cherry tomatoes
7 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup chopped green onions
3 T grated cheddar cheese
2 T finely chopped celery
Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato.  Scoop out and discard pulp.  Invert tomatoes onto paper towels to drain.  In a small bowl, combine bacon, mayo, onions, cheese, and celery.  Spoon into tomatoes.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hrs. 
Healthy and delicious--a double whammy in my book!

Gosh, it's gloomy outside this morning.  My hubby went for his mile walk.  He uses a walkman and listens to the radio as he makes his way around his usual route.  He stops by the post office along the way.  I'm eagerly waiting for the day that I'll be able to walk that far, but I'm not able to put full weight on my hip for that long of a distance quite yet.  If I take my cane, I may be able to make it around a town block.  So far I've just walked up and down the sidewalk in front of our house without any assistive device. 

We have a lush moist coffee cake on the kitchen island waiting to be devoured for breakfast.  Our neighbor had her oven screaming yesterday.  She invited us over for warm apple pie, coffee cake, and vanilla ice cream that melted into a divine creaminess.  Besides that, she sent home with us a plate of the apple coffee cake.  What a sweetie.

On the more serious side of everyday life, the newspaper headlines this morning are disturbing and disgusting.  The company that provides us with electricity is making a pitch for a 13% increase.  This follows a 7% rate increase finalized by state regulators in January.  Hmmmmm.  Maybe we should stock up on candles and kerosene........

Today's Trivia:  Pepsi derives its name from the treatment of dyspepsia, an intestinal ailment.