Saturday, May 29, 2010

Pansies and Books


The pansy wagon is planted and in place. Just goes to show that the simple things in life are still the best! Felt good to get dirt underneath my fingernails as I planted the pansies. Bought them on sale and some of their leaves were dried and looked scraggly. So, each one got a haircut before it was planted. The lady that sold them to me hinted that they not be in really hot sun, so the wagon is parked on the north side of our house where I think they will do fine. Actually, I couldn't fit all of the plants into the wagon, so I resurrected a mosaic planter from the garage and filled that, as well, and put it on the screened patio.

I'm reading the classic, "East of Eden" by John Steinbeck. On the first page of chapter 1, he writes, "I always found in myself a dread of west and a love of east." Gosh, that hit me cuz that's exactly how I've always felt. There's something in me that yearns to go to the eastern states. The feeling is almost compelling. Yet, there's no desire like that to go out west. What is that? and, what causes that sort of thing? Steinbeck writes, "It may be that the birth and death of the day had some part in my feeling." Who knows. Just one of the many phenomenons that exist, I guess.


Am also reading, "Miles to Go Before I Sleep." On Thanksgiving weekend in 1985, the author was a passenger on EgyptAir Flight 648 enroute from Athens, Greece to Cairo, Egypt. The plane was hijacked shortly after takeoff, and the plane landed in Malta. Millions of people watched as the hijackers singled out certain individuals for execution. This lady was one of those chosen and was shot in the head at point-blank range, pushed out of the plane, and left for dead on the tarmac. She actually survives, and in the book she tells of her struggle to live and, in doing so, how she found within herself wisdom, hope, strength and courage that she never knew she had.


Life does that to us, I think. When we're given horrible things to deal with, we take them step-by-step and keep putting one foot in front of the other. What else are we to do? But, after time, somehow we emerge better persons. Traumatic events change us, that's for sure. Everyone copes differently and finds private avenues that take us to new places and new people. That's why we have to keep our chins up and hope for the best no matter what. I think this author gives the reader fine advice, because she tells, "Everything in our lives happens for a reason. I firmly believe that. Everything."

Our coffee cups need refilling, so I shall be on my way. The weather is gorgeous where I live. Goody gumdrops!

Ta-ta for now.