Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Good-bye America

Where I live, the temperature is forecast to be 100 degrees, or maybe a titch higher.  Maybe it's this extreme heat that ignites a fire in my pants about the USA's debt.  Our morning newspaper headline reads, "USA's IOU."  Big graphic explanation of who owns OUR $14 trillion national debt.  It's enough to make a grown man cry.

I'm as un-political as it gets.  I stay under the radar in political arguments, the same as I do in arguments about religion.  With that said, I think it's time we quiet ones start making noise.  The way I feel this morning, my blogs may be a bit 'heated' during this hot spell we're having.

Back to this morning's headline.  Who do we Americans owe money to?  How much do we owe them?

China:  $1.2 trillion
Japan:  $907 billion
Taiwan:  $155 billion
Russia:  $125 billion
Hong Kong:  $122 billion
Britain:  $333 billion
Switzerland:  $112 billion
Luxembourg:  $78 billion
Oil exporters:  $222 billion
Caribbean banks:  $138 billion
Canada:  88 billion
Brazil:  $207 billion
Rest of the world:  $199 billion.

Pretty scary, isn't it?  And, I might add that the "oil-exporting countries" include Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.   

What's the first thing we hear when tragedy happens in another country?  You got it, the United States is first up to bat shipping god only knows how much money out of this country to "help."  If we're in such horrible debt, where do we get this money to give to other countries?  After the tsunami hit Indonesia, did we borrow money from China to give to Indonesia along with a card that read, "from the USA?"

What's the first thing we hear when tragedy happens to the United States?  Do other countries ever help us back? 

To put this into perspective, the word "trillion" is a 1 followed by 12 zeros.  CNN made an eye-opening comparison that gives us an idea about what a trillion actually is:  "if you start spending a million dollars every single day since Jesus was born, you still wouldn't have spent a trillion dollars."

This country is so worried about the well-being of other countries, but what about us here at home?  The high and mighties have given America away.  They gave our jobs to other countries.  Our wealthy are getting wealthier, our needy are getting needier, and it won't be long before we'll all be known as Asians. 

Maybe it's hi-ho time I learn what the Tea Party is all about.  It sickens me to think that I'd even think that, but I'm old enough to put two and two together and realize that the country I love is sinking deeper every day.  And, while it's sinking, the polished guys wearing 3-piece suits in Washington are throwing spit balls across the table and acting like a bunch of spoiled brats.  Kick partisanship in the ass and let's get busy and save ourselves.....if that's even possible.

There, I feel better......for now.