Friday, February 04, 2011

My New Way To Pray

After all these years, I've come up with a new way to pray. 

First off, I'm not a religious fanatic.  Actually, I'm just the opposite.  I'm one who digs deep into the history of my religion, only to find facts that disappoint and discourage me.  With that said, there's another side to the coin of faith.....and that is spirituality. 

I'm one who wants all cards on the table, none of this tip-toeing around, talking behind the back, that sort of thing.  Each of us must remember that there is a separate line to heaven for each of us.  Mine is different than the guy next to me, and his will be different than mine.  But......we both have a line. 

Talking to My Creator has always been easy for me.  My way of prayer resembles a one-on-one visit with my best friend.  I don't use beads or a book anymore.  Only My Creator knows what's in my heart.  Only He knows what I've lived through. He knows what I need and what I don't need.  Only He knows how strong my relationship with Him really is. 

Day before yesterday I was sitting in my comfy recliner, my fuzzy one beside me, crocheting a comfort cross that I donate to a local rest home.  As my crochet hook was going in and out of the stitches, a fleeting voice told me to offer each stitch up as a prayer for someone in the world who is all alone and has no one to pray or care for them. 

This thought affected me more than I can say.  From that instant, I told My Creator that each crochet stitch is my prayer for whoever He thinks needs it most.  The interesting part of this is that when I offer my stitches up for a lonely stranger, suddenly my crocheting has a dual purpose.  Something actually changed inside of me.

Our world is in the midst of turmoil like hell won't have it right now.  There has been fighting over religion since the beginning, and that's probably not going to change.  But, what should change is the way we judge others based on their personal spiritual practices that we truly don't understand in the first place.  Where we are born will dictate what our religious upbringing will be.  It's a toss of the faith coin.  Maybe Our Creator designed it to be this way so He could watch us flail around blindly, trying to figure it all out.  I do think, though, that we waste precious time worrying about how others are fostering their spiritual beliefs when we could be doing something to help a forgotten and sad soul somewhere on this Earth, perhaps far far away on another continent.  This new way to pray is a way that I can do just that without leaving my home.

Of course, the jury is out on all facets of religion, but I do know that the older I get, the more I feel the need to pray.  There's something built into me that is doing this.  It's sort of like my hair turning gray.  I didn't ask for it to turn, it just happened.

Tata for today.