Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Brace Ourselves!

Getting dental care these days is frightening.  Not because of the drone of the drill, but because of the cost.

Both of us are presently in the middle of major dental work.
Translucent Retainer
What do you suppose it cost
to make this?
What it will cost me:  $650.00
Yesterday was my first of several appointments for a tooth implant.  A front lower tooth.  Implants are done in steps, beginning with x-rays, consultation with oral surgeon, the surgical implant,  months of healing, and placement of crown onto the implant.  Unless I want to go without a front tooth while it heals, I'll wear a custom-made translucent retainer with one tooth.    

Hubby asked what the implant would cost.  When the consults, x-rays, the surgery, the gizmos and gadgets were tallied, the total was estimated between $5,000 and $6,000.

(That's one tooth and just me.  There's hubby's half to this dental story, with an estimated cost between $5,000 and $6,000, too.)

Later in the afternoon, after we regained consciousness, we stopped at one of those big stores that sells everything from lumber to kitchen faucets to candy.  We agreed to meet by the lawn tractors when we were ready to check out.  My tolerance of this kind of store is zero, so it didn't take long and I was back by the tractors.

My body was weary and begged for a place to rest.  I figured this was the kind of store a person could sit just about anywhere, so I parked my empty shopping cart and seated myself up on a big yellow zero-turning lawn mower.  For me, waiting is like drowning.  I fidgeted, looked down and staring at me on the steering wheel was a price tag.  For the heck of it, I wondered what such a piece of equipment cost.  I turned the tag over.  Price:  $2,658.   What?  You have got to be kidding me.  You mean we could buy two of these huge yard mowers for the same price as one measly front tooth, the size of a peanut?

If there was a way to shove a Chiclet Gum between my two front teeth and make it stay there, that's what I'd do and forget about the frickin' thing.