Friday, June 15, 2012

Life

Deer in Cemetery
This deer is finding solitude inside this fenced cemetery alongside a dead-end road.  If you look closely at the deer, you can see the scar beside her neck where a gun shot or arrow pierced her.

Many times I've wondered if maybe I lived as some other creature in a prior lifetime.  My compassion for all creatures is intense, and it's hard for me to explain what it's like.  Seeing an animal in pain causes me more anguish than seeing a human suffering.  I've been that way for as long as I can remember, and it certainly doesn't feel like a blessing.  It is tormenting.

This doe looks at me as I take this picture, with no fear.  After having been injured by a human, one would think she would bolt into the woods  at the mere sight of one of us.  It's possible, too, that her sensibility recognizes me as a friend, not an enemy.

We're still looking for the first fawn of the season. Those adorable souls with white spots.  Others are seeing them, but we've not yet been at the right place at the right time.  

Last night a lullaby of thunder and lightning tucked us into bed, and the sound of rain was truly the sound of music.  How thankful the plant kingdom must be for that wonderfully sustaining shower.  

Can't imagine how it can be Friday again.  Wasn't it just Monday?  Life is teaching me not to wish my life away by anticipating something in the future.  It's scary to think how close the end of my life on this earth just may be.  Yesterday I was reading an article that addressed the question, "Is one life enough?"  Hmmmm, that got me thinking.  If push comes to shove, my final answer will be, yes.  I'm not going to have time to do, and see, all the things I'd like, but the world and society is changing so much, so fast, that more and more I feel like a square peg in a round hole.  The safest and comfiest place for me to be is at home with my family and my hobbies.  I've morphed into a home body, and that's just fine.  That tells me I've successfully made the big loop, and I'm perfectly okay now to spend my time with the creative abilities that bless my days.

"Inside myself is a place where I live all alone,
and that's where I renew my
springs that never dry up."
~Pearl Buck