Thursday, June 07, 2012

"Climb Every Mountain"...Our Beloved Song

Forty-five years ago, right about this time, my best buddy and I sat across the desk from our parish Catholic priest.  He was explaining marriage to us, preparing us for the big "I Do Day."

Back then, the priest had to put his seal of approval on every part of the wedding ceremony, including the songs.  Wouldn't you know it....the one song I wanted at my wedding was the one he would not allow to be sung.  He said it was, "too worldly."

What song, you wonder?

"Climb Every Mountain" from the Sound of Music.  Interestingly enough, in the movie a nun sings the song urging Maria to "climb every mountain" in search of God's will for her life.

My best buddy and I, back in those days, were meek as mice in the presence of the white collar.   The sheet music shook as I handed it to Father so he could read the words to the song.  His verdict was quickly rendered.  I begged him to allow it, like a puppy pleading for a treat.  His answer was a firm and final no.

These are the words he forbid to be sung at our wedding Mass.....

Climb every mountain,
Search high and low,
Follow every highway,
Every path you know.

Climb every mountain,
Ford every stream,
Follow every rainbow,
'Till you find your dream.

A dream that will need
All the love you can give,
Every day of your life
For as long as you live.

To this day, I'm puzzled over Father's reasoning.  Here's why.....

Rainbow is mentioned 6 times in the bible, mountain 304 times, stream 73 times, dream 98 times, love 686 times, life 565 times, climb 28 times, path 108 times.

Maybe I wouldn't be hanging onto my hurt, but some years later a Polka Mass was held in this same church.  The closing hymn was, "In Heaven There Is No Beer."