Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mothering Day

Happy Mothering Day to women and men across the globe who love and respect our children.

Yesterday afternoon I had a once-in-a-lifetime mothering experience.  We drove a few miles to a garden center, parked our car, and went inside to make our purchase.  As we were leaving the parking lot, I noticed this gorgeous peony bush.  Peonies blossoming in mid-May?

With camera in hand, I got out of the car and walked toward the gorgeous crimson blossoms when I heard this awful screeching.  What on earth?  You know how sometimes it takes the brain a little while to process what's going on?  Well, that's the way it was.

To my right, on the ground, were two very angry Killdeer birds, their feathers ruffled, ready to attack me if I made another step forward.  By then my brain figured out that I must be way too close to their nest.  Sure enough....a nest with four eggs just a couple steps ahead.

Despite the racket, I managed to snap a couple of pictures.  Remember now that we were at a place where they have to water plants so that's why the garden hose was laying there.  I couldn't believe the Killdeer would set up their own nursery in such a public place.

Four eggs on left
Upset mama on right 
If you look closely, you can see the four brown mottled eggs a little ways above the hose on the left. Both the mama and daddy Killdeer had their tails and feathers ruffled and screamed "kill-dee, kill-dee" to get me the heck out of there.  Boy, talk about nature's inborn intelligence....look how the eggs blend in and look exactly like the stones in the upper part of the picture.

Mama sitting on eggs
Once the parents settled down and were convinced that I wasn't a threat to the family, the mama killdeer sat down on top of the eggs and looked up at me, proud as a peacock.



Daddy goes for walk

And, daddy Killdeer went for a stroll......but I have a feeling he won't venture off too far.

Guess that's what they call good mothering.