Friday, January 20, 2012

Inspired by Bev Doolittle's Camouflage Art

Our surprise piece of
camouflage art
Something told me to take a picture of these two animal dens situated close to each other.  We were out on a snow-packed gravel road that was kinda slippery, so we were going slow enough for me to have spotted them.  The dens were the central theme of the photo, until I looked at the picture on screen and found it to be a piece of camouflage art.

Mother Nature painted faces with a snowfall atop limestone.  Can you see the four faces that my imagining eyes are picking up?  Maybe your eyes will see something mine aren't.

  This reminds me of Bev Doolittle's coveted camouflage art that I have grown to recognize and appreciate.  Her western art is, as they say,  "crowded with intricate visual detail, haunted by presences seen and unseen, her paintings captivate the viewer on many levels."

Bev Doolittle's
"Three More for Breakfast"
A few years ago, after my retirement, I bought a Bev Doolittle jig saw puzzle at Walmart.  For only $8.95 I got a winter pastime that, piece by piece, eventually became a piece of art for our home.

The title of my Doolittle puzzle is, "Three More for Breakfast."  In the round mirror hanging on the birch tree, we can see a mountain man eating his breakfast. He thinks he is alone and doesn't expect guests to join him.  But, company is on its way.  The mountain man can't see who's coming, but we can.  Three bears are masterfully painted amid the white of the birch and the brown of the rocks and the bramble.

"To the attentive eye,
 each moment of the year
 has its own beauty ...
 it beholds every hour, 
a picture which was never seen before,
 and which shall never be seen again." 
 ~R. W. Emerson