Tuesday, September 06, 2011

My Autumn

If life be compared to the four seasons, then I'm in my Autumn, unless a meteorite unexpectedly falls on my head.  If I were asked which season has been my favorite, it would be this, my Autumn.  Having reached this season has freed my spirit from the ball-and-chain devotion to occupational bondage, and now I'm able to spend my days doing what I want, instead of what I must.  The days of having to prove myself are over.  Having said that, the Spring and Summer seasons of my life were more than I wished for as a little girl.  My life has been anointed with countless graces.

These quotations about Autumn give reverence to, and reflect, my deeply-rooted spiritual respect for Nature......
"Youth is like spring, an over-praised season more remarkable for biting winds than genial breezes.  Autumn is the mellower season, and what we lose in flowers we more than gain in fruits."  ~Samuel Butler

"Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns."  ~George Eliot


"Falling leaves
hide the path
so quietly"  ~John Bailey


"Spring passes and one remembers one's innocence. Summer passes and one remembers one's exuberance.  Autumn passes and one remembers one's reverence.  Winter passes and one remembers one's perseverance."  ~Yoko Ono


"If winter is slumber and spring is birth, and summer is life, then autumn rounds out to be reflection.  It's a time of year when the leaves are down and the harvest is in and the perennials are gone. Mother Earth just closed up the drapes on another year, and it's time to reflect on what's come before."  ~Mitchell Burgess


"A few days ago I walked along the edge of the lake and was treated to the crunch and rustle of leaves with each step I made.  The acoustics of this season are different and all sounds, no matter how hushed, are as crisp as autumn air."~Eric Sloane


"Fiery colors begin their yearly conquest of the hills, propelled by the autumn winds.  Fall is the artist." ~Takayuki Ikkaku


"Clouds of insects danced and buzzed in the golden autumn light, and the air was full of the piping of the song-birds.  Long, glinting dragonflies shot across the path, or hung tremulous with gauzy wings and gleaming bodies."  ~Sir Arthur Conan Doyle


"I've never known anyone yet who doesn't suffer a certain restlessness when autumn rolls around.  We're all eight years old again and anything is possible."  ~Sue Grafton


"The lands are lit with all the autumn blaze of golden-rod, and everywhere the purple asters nod and bend and wave and flit." ~Helen Hunt

"God is the experience of looking at a tree and saying, "Ahhhh!"  ~Joseph Campbell