Wednesday, September 28, 2011

From My Observation Tower

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that we buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that we financed in order to get to the job we need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house we leave vacant all day so we can afford to live in it.

Don't listen to what people say.  Watch what they do.

Appreciate life even if it's not perfect. Happiness is not fulfillment of what we wish for, but an appreciation of what we have.

There comes a point in life when we get tired of chasing everyone and trying to fix everything, but it's not giving up.  It's realizing we don't need certain people and the drama they bring.

Saying someone is ugly doesn't make us any prettier.

Stop trying to fit in.  There is nothing worse than being ordinary.

We don't drown by falling in the water.  We drown by staying there.

Our life's story is the sum of our choices.

A laugh changes everything, at least for the moment.  That's because we can't feel two emotions at once.  One will always trump the other.  So we must do something that makes us laugh, or that makes others laugh.  Focus on and force the laughs.  It's a priceless gift.

I would rather be disliked for who I am than liked for what I'm not.

There are parts of a ship which, taken by themselves, would sink. The engine would sink.  The propeller would sink.  But, when the parts of the ship are built together, they float.  So, with the events of my life, some have been tragic, some have been happy, but when they are built together, they form a craft that floats and is going some place, and I am comforted.  ~Ralph Sockman

Sad?  Later we will be happy.  Crying?  Later we will smile.  Because for every action in life there's an opposite reaction.  So, hold on, things will be better soon.

Let's quit defining ourselves with who we once were.  BE WHO WE ARE TODAY!  Fully.  In this moment.  Independent of what others may or may not expect from us.

Relationships are never 50/50.  We can't always feel 50%, life is too unpredictable for that.  So, on the days we can only give 20%, the other must give 80%.  It's never been about balancing in the middle, it's about balancing where we need it most, and being willing to give more when the one we love can't help but give a little less.