Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Morning Shadows

Looking out our front door this morning, I see shadows on the boulevard.  Half is sunny and half is not. 

Our area had gusty winds yesterday, the ones that refresh, not destroy.  Papa Bear went on a day trip with a friend, so the fuzzy one and I declared it  "girls day."  It's amazing how pets grow to mirror their owners. The fuzzy one's personality is a spittin' image of mine, and there are those who know her and will agree!  She and I ate lunch out back on the screened-in porch.  The screen keeps her safe from stray dogs that like to play the "I'm bigger than you" game.  The fuzzy one isn't very street smart, having been protected all her life like a babe in arms.

Perhaps it's my age, but people and pets are becoming more dear to my heart every day.  I don't take either for granted like I used to when I was wrapped up in a career.  Actually, I feel myself becoming acutely aware of life's basics and feeling a deeper gratitude for them.  I find myself noticing things like the morning shadows on the boulevard.  

I'm thankful for...
by Nancie Carody
...the mess to clean up after a party
     because it means I have been surrounded by friends.

...the taxes I pay
     because it means that I'm employed.

...the clothes that fit a little too snug
     because it means I have enough to eat.

...my shadow who watches me work
     because it means I am out in the sunshine.

...the spot I find at the far end of the parking lot
     because it means I am capable of walking.

...all the complaining I hear about our government
     because it means we have freedom of speech.

...that lady behind me in church who sings off key
     because it means that I can hear.

...lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing
     because it means I have a home.

...my huge heating bill
     because it means that I am warm.

...weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day
     because it means that I have been productive.

...the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours
     because it means that I am alive.
The Camelia
Symbol of Gratitude