Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Dreams

Now I know what an electric mixer must feel like.

My head is flying in circles, remembering last night's dream.  Many of my dreams are about the work place that I left behind in 2006.  Co-workers and situations, both, come back to spend the night with me even though they aren't invited. 

The study of our "night mind" would have to be mighty fascinating.  Even though we're sound asleep, we experience situations as though we were awake.  It's interesting to me how I hold onto my real-life values in my dreams.  Last night I was struggling to fight a potential criminal.  My co-workers fell victiim to his cunning compliments, while I remained steadfast in my fight to stop him. 

Elias Howe (1819-1867) is claimed to have said one inspiration for his invention of the sewing machine came from a nightmare he had about being attacked by cannibals bearing spears that looked like the needle he later designed.

Various famous authors attribute their classics to dreams.  Mary Shelly claimed inspiration for Frankenstein  came from her nightmares, and Robert Lewis Stevenson accredited his classic Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde to the same.

One of the most infamous dreams in history was President Lincoln's in 1865.  He envisioned his own death just a few days before he was assassinated on April 14, 1865.

We humans aren't the only ones who dream.  The fuzzy one dreams quite often.  She makes abbreviated barking sounds, and her fuzzy legs jerk like she's running.  I can't help but wonder if the poor little girl is dreaming that something is chasing her.

So many mysteries.  If man has been able to create something like the computer, just imagine the intricacies that live within our heads.  If inventors have used their dreams to invent, maybe we should be paying closer attention to what our dreams are telling us.