Monday, March 14, 2011

Challenge #5 - The Five Finger Prayer

Little children need to know how to pray....to feel connected to the Source of all life.  Sooner or later, each of of them will hit invisible walls or get into troublesome situations that will bring them to their knees.  Life simply does that to all of us. 

Maybe I've mentioned this before in my blog, but to this day I can rattle off the night prayer that I prayed when I was a little girl.  Mom taught me how to pray to Goddie, and I prayed that He would take care of my mommy, daddy, my sibling, myself, gramma, grampa, my special cousins and my best friends.  My prayer would close by saying, "Mary with her loving Son, bless us each and every one."   

The Five Finger Way to Pray   
  1. Our thumb is nearest to us, so start by praying for those closest to us. 
  2. The next is the pointing finger.  Pray for those who impart knowledge, instruct and heal.  This includes teachers, doctors, priests and other church ministry.  They need support and wisdom in pointing others in the right direction.
  3. The next finger is the tallest finger.  It reminds us of our leaders who stand tall among us.  Pray for the president, the vice-president, leaders in business and industry, and administrators.  These people shape our nation and guide public opinion. 
  4. The fourth finger is our ring finger.  This is our weakest finger, as any piano teacher will say.  It should remind us to pray for those who are weak, in trouble or in pain, and for those that cannot pray for themselves, such as our pets and other animals.  We cannot pray too much for this group.
  5. And lastly comes our little finger--the smallest finger of all which is where we should place ourselves in relation to Our Creator and others.  As the Bible says, "The least shall be the greatest among you."  The pinkie reminds us to pray for ourselves.  By the time we have prayed for the other four groups, our own needs will be put into proper perspective and we will be able to pray for ourselves more effectively.
(Source unknown)