Sunday, June 20, 2010

O+(NxS)+Cpm/T+He


Happy Day to all the Dads out there.......notice I didn't say Fathers!!!!!

At our house Daddy is being honored with a special breakfast "his girls" will fix for him. I found a recipe online for a breakfast bake using hash browns, little sizzlers, eggs, and cheese. Gonna have frosted donut holes, too. The smooch pooch has left a sweet note for her Daddy on the bathroom mirror. That's a tradition in our house on special days. The bathroom mirror is our family bulletin board.

Besides it being Daddy's Day, today is also supposed to be the Happiest Day of the year. According to the Huffington Post, researchers (?) use an equation to back up their 'new discovery.' O+(NxS)+Cpm/T+He.

"O" stands for being outdoors, being involved in outdoor activity.
"N" is connection with nature which is in full bloom now.
"S" is for socializing with neighbors and friends.
"Cpm" is for Childhood positive memories.
"T" is for temperature, which is now usually warm.
"He" stands for holiday expected!

So, there we have it. Conditions are right, with all the positives joining forces, sort of like when clouds gather and a big storm system develops. A bit of 21st century complexity, if you ask me.

Isn't happiness an elusive experience? It comes and it goes. What makes one person happy may drive the next person nuts. And, some people couldn't be happy no matter what. Doesn't everyone know a perpetual grump or grumpette? A good slap is what those people need. Maybe two slaps.

I don't know, but aren't we making things more difficult than necessary these days? In order to 'feel good inside' all we really need is a gratitude journal or just turn on the t.v. and see what people in other parts of the world are going through. If I sit down and carefully make note of all the blessings that I've had in my lifetime, how could I help but not be happy every single day. And, if I'm not, then somebody oughta slap me! It's so easy to get wrapped up in the demanding details of the day and completely forget about the good stuff right under our noses. Perhaps I'm too easily pleased, but despite everything else going on in this world, all it takes to fill my heart is to hear a wren singing in the back yard, feel my puppy adoringly lick my hand, or a little child's legs energetically pedal a trike on the sidewalk in front of our home. Real contentment comes from the proverbial 'little things' that cannot be reduced to a string of letters and numbers.

Guess I'll just go on living by the 20th century KISS equation--Keep It Simple, Stupid!