Thursday, June 10, 2010

Acorns and Acronyms


A light mist falls this morning cooling and refreshing the earth. The sun must be playing peek-a-boo with us, but there's more boo than peek!!!

Worked the daily crossword, and gotta say that a day doesn't go by that I don't learn something new. One of the clues was "a tiny acorn." Hmmmmm. I thought an acorn was an acorn. But, I'm here to say that I now know that it's a "nutlet."

That reminds me of the time in grade school when the nuns gave us a test and one of the multiple-choice questions was: What is the name of a baby pigeon? Back in those days, we ate pigeons and I knew that my parents called them "squabs." Two of the possible answers were: squab or squabble. My naive mind figured that if we were eating squabs, then a baby would be a squabble. Needless to say, I was wrong. That was probably when I was in 4th grade, so that goes to show how our mistakes can make permanent dents in us.

Acronyms have gotten to be the thing these days. Everything is an abbreviated form of something else. The first time I realized acronyms were taking over was when I saw a billboard sign that read, "PBR yourself ASAP."

Do you ever get emails with abbreviations in them? And, you really don't know what they mean? Well, I have, and my saving grace is www.gaarde.org/acronyms where I find the definitions. Of course, there are some not-so-nice ones, but I'm glad those are included just in case somebody is telling me something nasty. A person has to try to keep up with this fast-paced human community, or we're gonna get left behind.

Aging brings with it a deeper understanding of just how this world of ours unfolds. I can remember that we'd tell our parents they were so "old-fashioned" because they didn't do the things we kids were doing. A for-instance is when they'd tell us to turn the radio down when we had rock & roll blaring till the windows shook. Well, to me now "old-fashioned" has a whole different connotation. I think it means that each generation holds to what it knows and how it feels and when another generation comes along with new ideas and feelings that replace ours, we buck and are viewed as "old-fashioned." No matter what we told our parents, we most assuredly will hear those same words sooner or later ourselves. It's simply the way it all works.

Have a great day and keep passing out smiles to sad faces. SWALK